Thursday, 17 December 2009

Advice on out of date flares

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) currently provide a limited storage facility for some Time Expired Pyrotechnics (TEPs) through HM Coastguard, prior to disposal.
Coastguard facilities are very limited and are only able to receive and store small amounts of TEPs from individual members of the public and from small independent fishing vessels. HM Coastguard does not provide a collection service; arrangements for the disposal of TEPs must be made through your local Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) . To arrange a date to hand them over locally call Solent Coastguard on tel 02392 552100.

MRCC advice:
  • Make sure your TEP's are kept in a safe storage place.
  • Make sure TEP's can be transferred to the MRCC safely, using the original container if possible.
  • Damaged, split, heavily rusted or seeping TEP's should not be handled
  • Always point TEP's away from people
  • Do not let children handle them

If in doubt call 02392 552100

No comments:

Post a Comment